'˜We want answers' say grieving family of Wigan man
Confusion still reigned today over the tragic death of a Wigan man while under citizens' arrest.
Jordan Higham was 25 when he died following an incident in Ashton back in November, when two men reportedly restrained him after catching him trying to break into cars.
Since his death, his grieving parents Rachel and James Kelsall have begged for answers from investigators on the case but have been left “devastated” to find that no further action will be taken.
Jordan’s step-dad James, 37, said: “When I first heard it wouldn’t be going to court I was in complete and utter shock.
“I just expected it to go to court. He died at someone else’s hands. They should at least be held accountable and a jury should decide whether they were right or wrong.
“Even if they were acquitted for not having anything to do with his death, at least the justice system would have done its job.
“I got the phone call to say no charges would be brought while I was in Tesco, I just dropped my sandwich and ran out crying. I had to go home and tell Rachel - it’s been so hard for her.”
The outraged couple have raised several concerns over the way they have been dealt with by police, who reportedly told them that a file had gone to the Crown Prosecution Service.
This week they received an email to say that a file had never been referred to the CPS and that the decision was made by the Senior Investigating
Officer on the case. “I just can’t understand why they have told me it’s gone to the CPS when it hasn’t. I feel like we have been treated like nothing. We have nowhere to turn and we don’t know what to do anymore.
“We had started to deal with his death in a way but this has been another huge kick in the teeth.”
A spokesman for GMP said: “On Monday November 6 2017, police were called to Nicol Mere Drive in Ashton-in-Makerfield to reports that a man had been detained by members of the public following suspected thefts from vehicles.
“Officers attended within minutes and discovered an unresponsive man who was taken to hospital where he later died.
“As part of the investigation in to his death, full consideration was given to formally referring the matter to the Crown Court Prosecution Service in relation to potential charges.
“A subsequent full investigative review took place and a decision was made that this incident would not be formally referred to the CPS due to there being insufficient evidence to substantiate any criminal offences having taken place.”
The Kelsalls now face another agonising wait until Jordan’s inquest which has been moved from May to August.