Wigan teenager left traumatised after being assaulted by adult gang in park

A Wigan mum has described the horrific moment her teenaged son was attacked by a gang of adults as he met with friends at a local park.

Friday, 9th April 2021, 3:19 pm
Updated Monday, 12th April 2021, 2:12 pm

The 14-year-old boy, whose family asked that he not be identified, was socialising with friends at a park off Repton Avenue in Spring View, on the afternoon of Saturday March 27.

Read More

Read More
Wigan's MPs react to Prince Philip's death

It was around 3.45pm when two vehicles pulled up outside the park gates. A gang of adult thugs got out, before approaching the boys and threatening them with violence.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The park off Repton Avenue. Image: Google

The friends tried to run away but the young victim slipped and fell, allowing the gang to catch up with him and launch a completely unprovoked attack.

His mother described how the terrifying attack unfolded, in an effort to prompt anyone with information on the attackers to come forward.

She said: "Our son went out on the Saturday, and went to the park where he met two or three of his friends.

"They've been on the park and while they've been there, a couple of cars have come flying down the road. About four jumped out of a 4x4 and five jumped out of the second car, ran to the park, gone up towards one of his friends and said '******* come on, you're gonna get stabbed'.

"They've all started running, but [our son] slipped and they've all started stamping on him, punching him, kicking him and threatening that, if they saw him there ever again, he'd get his head chopped off and stabbed.

"He was kicked in the head so we had to go to A&E in case he had a concussion."

She went on: "I don't know whether it's mistaken identity. He's not even a bad kid at school or anything, but even if he was, that doesn't warrant an attack like that."

The boy's mum also expressed concern at the police investigation into the incident which, as of Friday April 8, had not resulted in any arrests, despite CCTV footage and car registration plates being offered up as evidence.

"[My son] still has yet to have a video interview, and what we're worried about is that the longer it is left, he is forgetting things because he's burying it in his mind," she said.

A spokesperson for GMP said: "Police were called at 4.20pm on Saturday 27 March 2021 to reports a male was being assaulted.

"NWAS attended but the victim voluntarily attended hospital a day later.

"We are aware of an assault that took place on the 27 March and officers have been speaking with both the victim and his immediate family. No arrests have been made to date and enquiries are ongoing."

Anyone with information can contact the police on 101 or alternatively, the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers.