Wigan thug shattered girlfriend's facial bones after an accident with a McDonalds meal

A controlling Wigan man - who made his girlfriend call him "King" - smashed bones in her face after losing his temper when his McDonalds meal landed in his lap.

Friday, 19th November 2021, 4:24 pm

And after attacking her in his car furious Daniel Taivalantti repeatedly hit himself in the face with a wrench saying he would blame her for his injuries.

A court heard that he had already been annoyed as he was late to answer bail for causing damage at her mum’s home and after the fast food fell onto his knee he angrily told her to get out of his vehicle.

She refused and after asking why he was spitting in her face while talking to her “she described how he made a hammer fist before punching her in the face around her left eye area and she felt immediate pain.”

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Taivalantti outside Liverpool Crown Court

She suffered a broken nose and fractured left eye socket and black eyes in the incident in Long Lane, Warrington on January 23 this year, said Ken Grant, prosecuting.

Taivalantti then drove them erratically towards her nearby home and told her to get out.

Mr Grant said: “She refused to get out until he apologised for what he had done. While parked he picked up her car keys and bank card and threw them out of the vehicle but she still would not get out.”

"He drove her to her grandmother’s house and again asked her to get out and she again refused. He then said they were going to the Lakes but parked near junction 11 of the M62 by the Birchwood roundabout.

"He got out of the car and went to the boot and returned with a wrench telling the complainant that he was going to hit himself with it so then he could blame her.

“She said that the defendant then returned to the boot with the wrench and although she could not see him, as her view was obstructed by the car’s parcel shelf, she could hear him hitting himself.

“When she next saw the defendant she saw blood on his head and left cheek. His eye was red and he also had scratches on his neck.

“A member of the public was nearby and he intervened and the police were notified,” said Mr Grant.

Liverpool Crown Court was told that the 28-year-old was arrested and his victim was taken to Warrington Hospital where she underwent X-rays and a head CT scan.

In an impact statement she told how during their five month relationship “he required her to refer to him in a certain way - as King.

“She had to apologise to him for things she did not even know she had done wrong. So many things were not right in the relationship and she became withdrawn and realised she was not herself.”

She told how friends had warned her about him but she ignored those “warning flags and he manipulated her into thinking they were jealous and not nice and eventually she stopped speaking to them.”

She wanted to end the relationship on many occasions but he manipulated her into getting back with him.

The victim said that after the attack she just wanted to hide away and was embarrassed about her injuries and had to have numerous hospital appointments. She has been left with a burning sensation in her nose.

She was afraid he would turn up at her home which added to her on-going depression which meant she had to give up her job. She has now moved out of the area, said Mr Grant.

Taivalantti, 28, of Stirrup Field, Golborne pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm and criminal damage.

Judge Garrett Byrne said it had been “a short-lived and volatile relationship but no matter how difficult you found it, it cannot justify what you did.

“You punched her to the face and it must have been a very forceful blow because it caused very serious injuries. I have seen the photographs and they are awful.”

The judge pointed out that he had been on bail at the time for criminal damage, which the court heard involved him punching two holes in a bedroom door, kicking his foot through the bottom of it and smashing a mirror.

However he said he had no history of breaching court orders and there is a prospect of rehabilitation so on balance “just been persuaded” that a suspended sentence was appropriate.

He sentenced him to a total of 14 months' imprisonment suspended for two years and ordered him to carry out 150 hours unpaid work and 15 days rehabilitation activities. The judge also ordered him to pay his victim £500 compensation.

Adam Antoszkw, defending, said that the defendant now has a fiancee and he “is sorry and ashamed” for his behaviour in the incident.

“Obviously it was a bad relationship that brought out the worst in him. In all other aspects of his life he appears to be a hard working man.”

He had witnessed domestic abuse as a child and he was ashamed “that he has managed to repeated what he himself saw.”

Mr Antoszkw said that the defendant had been caring for his sick grandfather until a recent stroke meant he needed full time care so Taivalantti has a full time job lined up and expects to earn £500 a week.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers.