Dad found hanged weeks before he was due to give evidence

Top story
Top story

A WIGAN dad hanged himself just weeks before he was due to testify against his alleged childhood abuser.

An inquest in Bolton heard that Stephen Quinn had been haunted by a forthcoming court case at which he was to give evidence claiming that he was sexually assaulted as a 13-year-old.

The coroner ruled that the level of alcohol in his system would have seriously impaired his judgment.

His sister, Julie Doran, found him dead on October 2 last year in the garage of his mum’s house on Bowland Avenue, Ashton, where he had been living.

She told how the 45-year-old had been deeply affected by the looming court case on top of other problems which included the breakdown of his marriage and debts.

The court was told that Mr Quinn had tried to harm

himself in previous years and had also been treated for depression.

Dr Andrew Holden, formally of Bryn Cross Surgery, said Mr Quinn had been given medication for this on a number of occasions.

In 2011 he was brought to the surgery by his cousin who feared for him after he had seen the man whom he claimed had abused him as a youngster at a funeral.

Dr Holden said: “This had brought a lot of emotions back and he felt desperate and anxious. He wanted to get better.”

But in more recent times there had been no evidence of depression and he had come off the medication. He had also planned to move into a new house where he had already secured a mortgage.

The last person to see Mr Quinn alive was family friend Alma McAleavey on the afternoon of September 26, the day of his father-in-law’s funeral.

He had been drinking at the Weatherspoons pub in Ashton after the funeral.

She explained how he had become upset but had mentioned he would come to her house for a meal.

Mr Quinn was pronounced dead at his home on Bowland Avenue by paramedics on October 2.

Pathologist Dr Naveen Sharma recorded the cause of death as acute brain hypoxia following suspension by ligature.

He also found that toxicology tests showed that Mr Kenny had consumed enough alcohol to have been over the legal drink-drive limit. But due to the passage of time that elapsed between the body’s discovery and the autopsy he may have been considerably more intoxicated at the time of the hanging.

Recording an open verdict, area coroner Alan Walsh said: “My greatest sadness is for Mr Quinn’s children.

“They will need greater support and compassion to overcome both the death of their grandfather and their dad in such a short space of time.

“I am truly sorry to the family. Mr Quinn had complex issues from a combination of factors and his death has a lot to do with drinking excessively which is saddening as it caused all rationale to go out of the window.”