Date set for inquest into Thailand death

Peter Nicholson
Peter Nicholson

A DATE has finally been set for the inquest into the death of a Wigan man in Thailand.

The inquest into the death of Peter Nicholson, who died in Bangkok on June 1, was briefly mentioned at Bolton Coroners Court on Monday when the date for the full hearing was set.

A date for the inquest was due to be set in October but it had to be adjourned because the coroner’s office had not recieved all the evidenceit needed from the Thai authorities.

Mr Nicholson collapsed in his hotel room in the Thai city shortly after arriving and was discovered by hotel staff when his friends raised the alarm

Medics were unable to revive Mr Nicholson, from Beech Hill, who was 29 when he died.

It is thought there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding his death and the inquest can go ahead.

The inquest will be held on January 25 at 2pm.

Shortly after Mr Nicholson’s death, tributes were paid the popular dad-of-one.

A friend of Mr Nicholson’s mother Irene said: “She is absolutely distraught. This has come as a complete shock.”

One neighbour, who did not wish to be identified, said: “This is a terrible shock to us.

“Peter was a lovely guy who had everything to live for.”

Those who knew Mr Nicholson, who had latterly been living in Whelley, also paid tribute on Facebook.

Gemma Speakman wrote: “Gone but never forgotten R.I.P Pey always in our hearts.”

Melissa Marie Atherton said: “So so so sad still cant get me head round why.”

And Elaine Cross added: “RIP, you were a lovely lad.”

Debbie King wrote: “Sad news, such a thoughts are with his family and friends.”

Samantha Cook said: “Rip. God bless taken far too young.”

It is believed that the friends raised the alarm with staff at the hotel at which they were staying when they failed to get a response to knocks on his room door.

Using a master key to get in, the employees found the Beech Hill 29-year-old collapsed and medics were unable to revive him.