Driver jailed for reversing over man

Jailed for eight years: Daniel Evans
Jailed for eight years: Daniel Evans

A DRIVER who left a Wigan man with crippling injuries, by deliberately reversing his car into him, has been jailed for eight years.

A court heard Daniel Evans had taken a cocktail of drink and drugs before the early hours incident, and he drove off leaving his victim, who had been crushed into a wall and lamp post, collapsed.

Judge John Roberts told the 20-year-old accused: “What you did was truly wicked. The result on his body and life of what you did has been truly devastating.

“You used your car as a weapon and you drove it under the influence of drink and drugs.

“You drove off leaving him on the floor in a heap, not knowing what had happened to him.”

Liverpool Crown Court was told that about two hours later, he left a Facebook message to a friend saying: “Some lad from Platt Bridge kicked off so I ran him over.”

The court also heard that the victim, Dean Southworth, who had earlier been out in Wigan celebrating his 21st birthday, suffered multiple fractures to his pelvis, a broken right ankle, fractured left thigh, a ruptured bladder and a tear to his scrotum.

He was in hospital for two weeks, during which he underwent two operations, had both legs in plaster and had to sleep downstairs at home for three months. He needed 72 stitches and was on crutches for several months.

He still cannot walk far or stand for long, can no longer compete in competitive sports, and doctors say he is likely to develop arthritis.

Evans, of Southdowns Road, Chorley, admitted inflicting grievous bodily harm but denied a more serious offence of doing so with intent.

A jury had found him guilty of that offence by a majority of 11 to one at a previous hearing.

Simon Driver, prosecuting, said the incident happened on September 4 last year.

Mr Southworth had become separated from his friends.

Mr Driver said Mr Southworth was approached by Evans and his friend, both strangers, to help them buy cocaine, and he agreed to do so, as long as they took him to his own neighbourhood.

They drove him to the home he shared with his girlfriend in Millers Lane, Platt Bridge, but she told them to leave. Evans and Mr Southworth exchanged insults and threats Evans got into his Vauxhall Astra and the threats continued, said Mr Driver.

Evans drove up Millers Lane towards Platt Bridge town centre pursued by Mr Southworth, who struck out at the vehicle.

The court heard that Evans stopped his car and reversed towards Mr Southworth. Evans drove forward again and Mr Southworth again ran after the car, striking out.

This time Evans again reversed “putting his foot to the floor” and, travelling at about 10mph, half mounted the kerb and deliberately turned the vehicle and struck Mr Southworth.

Evans, who was the subject of a conditional discharge for theft at the time, sped off, but was stopped by police about three hours in Letchworth Drive, Chorley. The officer confiscated the car.

He was arrested on November 18, and denied being the driver.

Frances Hertzog, defending, said that Evans had made a “very foolish split-second decision in the heat of the moment. It was not premeditated.

“He was under the influence of drink and drugs at the time, which perhaps clouded his decision-making processes.”

Since his remand in custody, his first time behind bars, he has turned his life around and has taken courses to put his drug addiction behind him. “He is exceptionally remorseful and is ashamed of his behaviour.”

He is also now on much better terms with his businessman father and mother and they are supporting him.

After the hearomh Det Con Lee Jamieson, said: “Evans effectively used his car as a weapon to cause the victim very serious injuries.

“He then drove off, leaving him in absolute agony and made no attempt to get him help.

“A split second of stupidity and aggression has cost Evans his liberty I hope this sentence sends a strong warning to others of the potential consequences of such reckless actions.”