THE one remaining secondary school in Wigan borough without a defibrillator has vowed to raise the necessary funds to buy two.
Following news that three schools were donated the life-saving devices last week, St Peter’s Catholic High School in Orrell is in the process of raising funds to acquire the machines which can restart people’s hearts following a heart attack.
Headteacher Andy McGlown said: “We are definitely beginning to start collecting money for the equipment at the beginning of next year as it is obviously very expensive.
“Hopefully, we will have one located in the PE department and the other more centrally within the school.”
This week, members of Wigan and Leigh Friendship Club recently donated defibrillators to St John Fisher, Cansfield High and Up Holland High.
The schools, which were the last ones in the borough without the equipment, were drawn out of a hat by members.
Secretary of the club Jennifer Pennington said: “With the advice from Steve Nichols from the North West Ambulance Service we thought it would be a good idea to provide the much needed equipment to the schools as there was only a handful in the borough left without them,
“I’m pleased that we managed to raise just enough money to give three schools the defibrillators. And I am told that St Peter’s will be assisted by the North West Ambulance Service so that they can also get one very soon.”
Jennifer added: “It was such a wonderful morning and we were so successful in raising more money. Representatives from the schools were very grateful and now we just hope to continue raising more money to help others.”
Wigan and Leigh Friendship Club is made up of a group of retired medical professionals from the borough’s hospitals.
Each year it raises funds through regular coffee mornings to enable schools and businesses to be provided with life-saving medical equipment.
The value of public AEDs was proved in 2010, when a 15-year-old Hindley boy had a heart attack in his local gym.
Patrick Horrocks collapsed on a treadmill at Hindley Leisure Centre, but thanks to the quick actions of staff members he was resuscitated using an AED, which are installed in all Wigan Leisure and Culture Trust (WLCT) buildings.
The Hindley Community High pupil flatlined for four minutes during the incident, but was revived thanks to the actions of the two members of staff who used a defibrillator. A report found only 20 per cent of workplaces have a defibrillator.