A 90-year-old woman escaped from her home when a fire broke out in the kitchen.
Firefighters said she had left a chip pan on after cooking chips for her lunch and was alerted by a smoke alarm.
Other news: Vandals ruin park art for the last time
The woman managed to get out of her home on Milton Grove, Orrell, and a neighbour called 999 at 12.30pm on Friday.
Crews from Wigan fire station arrived quickly and put out the blaze before it caused too much damage.
They also carried out a home fire safety check.
The woman was not hurt in the incident and did not breathe in any smoke.