Family demand coma dad mystery answers

Andy Openshaw
Andy Openshaw

RELATIVES of a man left fighting for his life after horror struck on a Tenerife stag do are demanding answers after tests suggested he may have been the victim of foul play.

Spanish police claim that Andy Openshaw suffered the devastating injuries to his head and back by diving into an empty swimming pool on his first night at the resort on January 31 and the investigation was closed after just two days.

But since a phenomenal charity appeal raised enough money to get the Leigh dad back to Britain, medics here say it looks far more like he was battered by someone and then thrown in the pool unconscious.

Mr Openshaw was initially given 48 hours to live and his family flew out to be by his bedside.

But since the 31-year-old returned home his chances of survival have raised, although he remains in a coma in Liverpool’s Walton Centre.

In an exclusive interview, his dad Simon, said: “We were always unhappy with the suggestion that he dived in. We knew he had gone backwards, maybe been punched, but nobody over there was saying so.

“The first consultant we saw, Mr May, specialises in head trauma. He sees car accidents, bike accidents, jockeys, boxers, everything.

“He sat us down and said that they think Andrew will survive with some small quality of life.

“The second bit of news they had blew us all to bits. It was revealed that Andrew has fractured eye sockets, cheekbones and jaw sockets.

“He’s also got two broken fingers and a dislocated knuckle. He told us that Andrew has been viciously attacked, he’s been kicked around the eye sockets, the cheekbones, the lower jaw and he’s got front temple fractures as well as the main impact where he has gone into the pool.

“The consultant confirmed that Andrew didn’t dive into the pool, but that he was probably pushed in unconscious. I think he was rolled in.

“This guy has written us a statement saying no way did Andrew go into that pool consciously. He elaborated that the injuries to his fingers and knuckle are from when he has obviously tried to shield his head.”

The Walton findings have served to confirm Mr Openshaw Snr’s grave reservations about the police investigation. The fact that his son’s wallet has never been found and that a witness report suggests he was uncharacteristically aggressive before the incident further compounds family suspicions.

The victim and a friend had become separated from the rest of their group during the night out before being found in the pool. Unfortunately the other man, who sustained a fractured ankle, cannot recall anything before or during the incident. The official Spanish report had the two men on the road outside Tramps bar when they saw a pool belonging to nearby apartments. They then supposedly scaled a wall and dived into the unlit pool. A Romanian security guard apparently shouted warnings to them but this was met with aggression from Andy.

But Mr Openshaw Snr said: “Anyone that knows Andrew will know that there is not an aggressive bone in his body. If they hadn’t told me this we would have never uncovered all the other lies. It prompted me to go and see the site where it happened. The police say they climbed a 2m wall with barbed wire on but the gate was broken and open and has been for the past five years.

“Why would anyone climb a wall when there is a perfectly good gate you can walk through? It would also be like crawling up a wall of razor blades and there was no indication on his clothing he had.

“The second police fact was that they saw the pool from the road, which is impossible. It cannot be seen from the road from any angle.”

After gathering this evidence, a meeting was arranged between the British consulate and Mr Openshaw’s parents and the reporting police.

“We looked more closely at the police report,” said Mr Openshaw. “I asked them two questions: When did the emergency call go in and what was the police arrival time?

“They told me the emergency call came through at 1am and the police arrival time was 12.45am.”

This prompted the British consulate and the Openshaw family to raise more concerns. But at that point they were asked to leave the station, with the police stating they would only deal with the British police through Interpol.

The family are now questioning the validity of witness statements from the security guard and a Moroccan and are now desperate for the investigation into the incident to re-open.

However, this can only be done by the Spanish police with the British police unable to intervene without their say-so.

Since returning home, the family has researched into crime in Las Americas in Tenerife and have found a history of muggings against vulnerable people walking home after a night out.

“As a parent, I needed to know how long my son had been on the bottom of that pool so