Family offers reward after dog is poisoned

Spike just before he died
Spike just before he died
Share this article

POLICE and the RSPCA are investigating after another Wigan pet was killed by anti-freeze.

Andy and Jane Perkins were devastated to learn that their four-year-old British bulldog Spike had consumed a lethal amount of the substance.

And now they are offering a £1,000 reward to anybody who can provide any information which will lead to a conviction.

This is the FIFTH anti-freeze -related attack on pets in Wigan in less than a month.

The couple, who live in Browning Grove, Standish Lower Ground, say they believe that somebody had thrown a piece of meat containing the deadly substance over their fence into their back garden, which Spike had eaten.

Mr Perkins said: “The whole family has been left devastated by this cruel and cowardly act. My two children are absolutely heartbroken.

“The emergency vets did everything in their power to try and save him, but the levels of anti-freeze toxic in his system were just to much even for a dog of Spike’s build.”

It is believed that it had taken around five days for the anti-freeze to take effect. The family had noticed Spike wasn’t feeling well during the week and took him to the vets on the Thursday where he was given two injections and the family told if he was sick again and not eating then to take him back in.

Spike ate his food and looked as though he was picking up before deteriorating.

The family took him to the emergency vets in Manchester where they felt they had to end Spike’s pain.

After his death, test showed acute renal failure and following tests on his urine and blood, they found a significant level of anti-freeze in his system.

Mr Perkins added: “Spike was such a lovely dog who loved people. He just used to love eating, playing and sleeping.

“He was great with the kids and everybody loved him, he was as soft as a mouse and we’ll miss him very much.”

A spokesman for the RSPCA confirmed they were looking into the incident and that it is a growing problem in the area.

She said: “It is an issue about which we are getting more and more calls. Anti-freeze provides a real problem for animals. The taste is sweet to their lips which is what initially attracts them. With cats they need immediate attention whereas it may take a little longer to affect a dog.

“Harming an animal in this way is extremely cruel and can be punished under section 4 of the animal welfare act. This could lead to a maximum sentence of six months imprisonment and/or a £20,000 fine.

“We are keen to follow up on any leads that come in for Spike and urge anyone with any information to call 0300 123 4999.”

In April, a three-year-old cat from Spring View was killed by anti-freeze after three cats belonging to neighbours in Shevington also died because of the substance earlier in the month.