Fault in new car blamed for blaze in Wigan

Firefighters were called to Beech Hill Avenue. Pic: Google Street View
Firefighters were called to Beech Hill Avenue. Pic: Google Street View

A new car bought just a few days ago has been badly damaged in a fire.

The Seat Leon was parked up against a house on Beech Hill Avenue, in Beech Hill, when the fire started just before midnight on Sunday.

Other news: Smoke alarm alerts neighbour to fire in Wigan flat

Flames were coming from underneath the car and the engine compartment when firefighters arrived.

Crews had to work quickly and get between the vehicle and the house to stop the fire spreading.

Simon Connor, crew manager at Wigan fire station, said: "It turned out the car was brand new - only a few days old - and the fire was started by an electrical fault in the dashboard."