Fire rescue heroes take the plaudits for bravery

The fire-damaged house in Golborne
The fire-damaged house in Golborne
Share this article

A QUICK-THINKING trio who helped save Wigan residents from two house blazes have been recognised for their bravery by the fire service.

Postman Phil Turner and neighbour Mark Nassir rescued a mum and two young children earlier this year.

And fire officer Rick Thomson saved a pensioner from her flat during a chip pan fire.

All three were recognised for their selfless acts at Leigh fire station this week.

Chief Officer Steve McGuirk said: “It gives me great pleasure to recognise these acts of bravery.

“All three recipients thoroughly deserve their letters of congratulation.

“Their actions undoubtedly prevented a serious tragedy from unfolding during each incident.

“They are a credit to their communities.”

Phil and Mark combined to help the young family after a blaze had started in the living room of an Elm Avenue property in Golborne and quickly spread.

Mark put a ladder up to a front bedroom to rescue the two and four-year-old youngsters while Phil broke down the front door to rescue the young mum.

In the other incident, off-duty firefighter Rick was driving past flats on Warrington Lane in Ince last year, when he saw flames coming from a window.

Having called 999, he jumped over railings surrounding the property to help a pensioner who was attempting to douse a chip pan fire.

The 71-year-old woman was treated for smoke inhalation but has since recovered from the ordeal.

Rick said: “I’m really honoured to receive this award. My watch have told me I owe them some cakes now, but I’m sure they’re all proud.”

Postie Phil, a dad-of-one from Newton-le-Willows, finished off his round after his heroic act in July.

He said: “I’m highly honoured to receive this award.”

He had told the Evening Post after the ordeal: “I could hear shouting, I thought it was a fight at first.

“But I then saw the black smoke and the two neighbours putting the ladder up to get the kids from upstairs.

“I broke the front door down so the mum could get out. It was just a natural reaction that anyone would have done.

“I waited to see that everyone was okay and then I carried on with my letters.

“It wasn’t just me, the neighbours already had a rescue operation going on, I just got involved to help them.”

The Golborne family had smoke alarms installed but had disconnected the batteries meaning they were out of action at the time.

Fire officers said their lucky escape highlighted the importance of having working smoke detectors and encouraged residents to contact their local station to request the free installation service.

To book a free home safety and smoke alarm check contact GMFRS on 0800 555 815.