Firefighters tackle blaze at farm

Farm land off Hall Lane, Aspull
Farm land off Hall Lane, Aspull

FIREFIGHTERS were called to a fire at a Wigan farm.

A mechanical component in a baling machine had overheated, sparking a small blaze at School Farm, Bagshaw Lane, off Hall Lane, in Aspull, at 2pm on Sunday.

Crews from Wigan and Hindley attended, using a specialist off-road fire engine to tackle the flames.

Crew manager Craig Cubbins, of Hindley Fire Service, said: “Dust and dry straw ignited, causing a small fire which totally destroyed the machine and had spread to the straw which was ready to be baled up.

“We used an extended hose from the off-road fire engine to extinguish the fire. We were there about two hours.”