Flat destroyed by iron


AN unattended iron which had been left smouldering has gutted a flat in Wigan.

Crews from across the borough rushed to Woodcock House, in Scholes, at 9.45pm on Friday when residents in the high rise block noticed smoke coming from the 10th floor.

Firefighters forced entry into the flat, believing someone was in the building, but it was empty.

The fire completely destroyed the bedroom, where the iron had been left switched on, with smoke and heat damage to the corridor and second bedroom.

Crews were at the scene for two-and-a-half hours and used two jets, four breathing apparatus and a ventilation fan.

Station Manager Ben Levy, who was in charge of the incident, said: “After breaking into the flat involved in fire and carrying out a search it became apparent that nobody was inside.

“Around 25 firefighters went to the incident and did a great job tackling the fire in the flat that was heavily smoke logged.

“We believe the fire started when an iron was left turned on in the bedroom, so are asking people to take extra care and when they have finished with electrical appliances to switch them off.”

Fire chiefs are now warning people about the dangers of leaving electrical appliances switched on.

Coun David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “It’s really important not to leave electrical appliances or cooking unattended as it only takes a few seconds for a serious fire to start.”

For a free Home Safety Check, which could include the fitting of smoke alarms, call 0800 555 815 or visit http://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx