Former boxer's death still a mystery

Share this article

Mystery still surrounds the death of a former boxer found hanged in his garage.

An inquest in Bolton heard Ryan Cummings, of Liverpool Road in Hindley, seemed to have "everything to live for" after learning he was to become a father again – but he had battled manic depression.

The 34-year-old, who was once part of boxing promoter Frank Warren's stable, had also landed a new job he enjoyed just days before he was found dead on Monday, March 17.

Wife Gill, who is six months' pregnant with Ryan's child, was excused from the inquest but her emotional statement was read in court.

It said: "He liked to drink and he drank too much. In fact when he started he couldn't stop and he used cocaine regularly.

"He said he didn't really like cocaine, but it allowed him to escape from everything that was going on in his head.

"The only reason I can think why he did it is that he thought he'd let me and himself down. He had so much to live for and contact with his daughter in London from another relationship was possible.

"I could have understood it a couple of months ago when things were so bleak, but not when he did it." The couple had argued on the evening before Ryan's death over a drink and cocaine binge he had been on over the weekend.

Gill said he had lost a "dream job" in the past after a random drug test and was aware he could be tested in his new job, which he was due to go back to on the Monday.

The pathologist found alcohol and cocaine in Ryan's body at the post-mortem examination.

A statement from Ryan's GP said he had been prescribed medication for depression and anxiety over the years and in 2000, he had made a serious suicide attempt by slashing his wrists.

He had also spent 18 months in prison for assault and had been put on an anger management course.

Ryan's cousin Jason Dainty, one of the last people to see the former St Patrick's pupil, said Ryan had been "brilliant" on the day before his death.

He dropped Ryan off at a friend's house the night before his death, where he stayed up drinking until 4.30am before going home.

Assistant deputy coroner Peter Watson said he could not be sure of Ryan's state of mind prior to his death, and recorded an open verdict.