Heavy drinker attacked wife on Christmas Day

Crime story
Crime story

A WIGAN man who assaulted his wife on Christmas Day has been handed a suspended prison sentence.

John White kicked his wife, Mary, after drinking all day before punching her in the eye.

Wigan Magistrates’ Court heard how the 60-year-old then assaulted his wife again on January 2 after downing an entire bottle of vodka.

Katie Beattie, prosecuting, told how the couple had been together for 30 years but described their relationship as “by no means wedded bliss”.

She explained that White, an alcoholic who suffers from post traumatic stress disorder, had subjected his wife to physical and verbal abuse over the years.

The couple split in 2011, only for Mrs White to take him back the following year when he vowed to continue taking his medication.

But he then started drinking heavily again and skipping his medication, causing him to become “extremely verbally aggressive”.

On Christmas Day he drank all day before kicking his wife in the back as she went upstairs and then punched her in the eye - causing bruising and swelling.

He then continued to be verbally abusive to Mrs White over the festive period before matters came to a head again in the early hours of January 2.

The defendant, of Rose Avenue, Beech Hill, downed a bottle of vodka during New Year’s Day before shouting threats at his wife when she went to bed.

Mrs White went back downstairs to wait for her husband to fall asleep before a text message from her son woke him up from his slumber.

The court heard how White immediately started “kicking off” again before jumping out of his seat, pulling his wife’s hair and punching her left eye.

When White opened the front door and started urinating on the step she pushed him outside, locked the front door and called the police.

In a victim impact statement Mrs White said she didn’t want her husband anywhere near her ever again.

Martin Jones, defending, said there was no need for him to address the court after justices indicated they were minded to follow the recommendations in a pre-sentence report.

Magistrates handed White a three-month jail sentence, suspended for two years. He must also pay £85 towards court costs and an £80 victim surcharge.