Home’s new kitchen destroyed in blaze

News story
News story

A KITCHEN was destroyed by fire after the renovation of a Wigan house turned to disaster.

Work refitting units at a semi-detached property on Avondale Street in Standish went wrong after a gas pipe became damaged, which then led to a fire breaking out after it came into contact with a spark.

The resulting fire gutted the kitchen and left the rest of the partly-refurbished house badly smoke damaged.

Fire crews from Wigan were called at around 4.10pm on Saturday, with firefighters wearing breathing apparatus putting out the blaze.

They isolated the gas and electricity before spending around an hour slowly checking the blaze had not spread to any other rooms.

The owners of the house and workmen were uninjured as they were all outside when the incident occurred.