Horror teen crash trial collapses after a day


A WIGAN schoolboy was left badly injured after a motorist allegedly lost control on a bend and pinned him against a wall, a court has heard.

Shocked witnesses ran to help the 16-year-old at the scene in Bolton Road, Atherton, who was screaming in agony after the Vauxhall Vectra struck him and severed his big toe.

A jury heard that that a motorist had been behind the Vectra, driven by Nizamuddin Patel, from Bolton town centre to the scene and had allegedly witnessed him driving dangerously.

Patel, of Saltwood Grove, Bolton, went on trial at Liverpool Crown Court denying dangerous driving but the trial collapsed for administrative reasons. He will now face a re-trial beginning on February 17 next year. Henry Riding, prosecuting, had told the court that the accident happened on November 22 last year.

He claimed that a driver, Mr Gaskell, was passing through Bolton town centre when Patel’s Vectra overtook him at about 40mph in the 30mph area, which took him by surprise as it allegedly “came out of nowhere”.

Further on he saw it overtake another vehicle but when they reached traffic lights at the junction of St Helens Road and Hulton Lane it had been halted by traffic lights.

When they changed he allegedly saw it right behind another car and it overtook it and pulled away.

Mr Riding claimed that the driver again caught up with 35-year-old Patel stopped at the next set of lights and when they changed Patel accelerated away.

“It came up behind another vehicle and overtook it and went completely onto the wrong side of the road,” he claimed.

Mr Gaskell saw two cars coming in the opposite direction and one moved into the nearside lane “taking evasive action”.

Patel pulled back into the correct lane and drove on.

Mr Riding claimed that one of those oncoming motorists later told police how he had been confronted by the Vectra and had to brake.

After it passed he looked in his wing mirror and saw it had lost control on the right hand bend.

Meanwhile Mr Gaskell rounded the bend and saw the Vectra was sideways on and had been hit by a car coming in the opposite direction. But before it had been struck by the other car the Vectra had careered onto the nearside pavement and collided with a teenage boy pedestrian, claimed Mr Riding.

The boy had a big toe severed and a woman who rushed to help thought initially he had a false leg before realising it was his bone protruding through his leg. Patel was arrested at the scene and told police that he had been blinded by the lights of the vehicle behind him.

Mr Riding told the jury that experts were unable to say how fast Patel had been travelling. The jury was discharged and Patel has been further remanded on bail to await his re-trial.