Husband victim of hammer attack

Crime story
Crime story

A WIGAN woman attacked her estranged husband with a hammer seconds after punching his new girlfriend, a court heard.

Deborah Marie Duckworth – who described the assaults as “a moment of madness” – broke her leg as she was restrained by police officers.

Duckworth, 46, of Lower Longshoot, Scholes, received a four month custodial sentence suspended for a year.

A sentencing hearing at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court was told she had harboured hopes that her relationship with husband James was back on last year.

But upon learning this was not the case, Duckworth went to a Vauxhall Road property where her husband and Andrea Marsh were on September 28.

Mike Ardern, prosecuting, said: “Ms Marsh heard a knock on the door, opened it, but could not see anyone. Duckworth punched her twice and Ms Marsh ran back into the property.”

The court was told that the defendant went into the living room “swinging” the hammer.

Mr Ardern added: “(Husband) James Duckworth was hit once with the hammer on the back of the head. Ms Marsh ran out of the property and called the police.”

Officers attending the scene viewed Duckworth standing over her husband who was on the floor outside.

The defendant then lunged at Ms Marsh and was restrained by the officers, Mr Ardern told the court.

She initially denied the charges but changed her plea to guilty “at the doors of the court” at an earlier hearing in February.

Glen Wrigley, defending, said: “This is a very serious set of offences in which alcohol was a contributory factor.”

He told that Mr Duckworth “had stopped divorce proceedings and she (Deborah) was bought a new wedding ring. But she got back from a holiday with her son and found out he was in another relationship.”

Mr Wrigley added: “She cannot recall everything that happened, she says it was a moment of madness. It was not pre-planned, it was spur of the moment.

“She suffers from osteoporosis and had her leg badly broken. She then dislocated her pelvis after the cast came off, she has been told she could be disabled for life.

“She has cost herself a lot of physical pain and anguish as a result of this. She seriously regrets it and is remorseful for her actions.”

Duckworth, who is a carer for her son, received the four month suspended sentence to run concurrently for three offences; the two assaults and possession of an offensive weapon.

She will have to pay £150 compensation to James Duckworth, £50 to Andrea Marsh, a victim surcharge of £80 and costs of £100.

The court granted restraining orders in relation to both the victims and Duckworth will be subject to a 12 week curfew from 8pm to 8am.