Investigation after blazes at home and Boots store

Police at the caravan, which was set on fire outside a property on Hexham Avenue, Goose Green
Police at the caravan, which was set on fire outside a property on Hexham Avenue, Goose Green
Share this article

POLICE have been called in following two fires in Wigan on Monday night.

The first took place at a property in Goose Green, while the second was at the Boots store on Robin Park.

While the circumstances surrounding both fires are similar, there is no indication that they are in any way connected.

Firefighters were first called out at around 10pm on Monday evening to Hexham Avenue in Goose Green following reports of the blaze.

Crews arrived to find a caravan well alight outside a terraced property.

The vehicle was located right up against the building though, meaning the flames spread.

Watch manager Shaun Aspey said: “The caravan was on the front drive and was right up against the house.

“The front of the house was alight as well. There is an investigation going on with the police and scenes of crime due to the suspicious circumstances.”

A police spokesman said that due to the investigation being in its early stages, it is still to early to label the incident as arson.

He said: “We are investigating it and we are continuing with out inquiries. We were called to the address just after 10pm and the fire service was already at the scene.”

Around five hours later, the night’s second incident took place at Boots on the Robin Park retail park.

Once again, the police said they were in the early stages of investigation so cannot confirm how or why the fire started. Fire crews were called to the scene at 3am to find pallets to the rear of the store had been set alight.

They were close to the shop meaning surface damage to the building.

Watch manager Aspey added: “Someone set fire to the wooden pallets at the rear of the building.

“It spread to the building but thankfully we were there in time to ensure it didn’t spread any further.

“It did cause a lot of damage to the rear of the building though.”

A police spokesman: “Once again, we can confirm inquiries are ongoing with this incident but we are not at a stage to determine how or why the fire started.”

Fortunately, neither incident resulted in any casualties but both caused significant damaged as a result of the fires.

Police returned to the scene in Goose Green yesterday to meet with fire chiefs as they headed up an investigation.