Jail for vicious attacker

Philip Makinson
Philip Makinson

A THUG who launched a savage attack on a woman that left her with injuries “almost from top to toe” was last night caged.

A court heard that Jane Isherwood was left battered and bruised and suffered bleeding on the brain after the unprovoked and pitiless onslaught, in which she was kicked and stamped upon.

Her attacker, 34-year-old Philip Makinson, said in defence, that he was hallucinating after a drinking session, and mistook his victim for a man trying to sexually assault him.

Liverpool Crown Court heard the bus driver, from Burley Avenue, Lowton, had enjoyed a night out drinking with the woman and a friend.

They ended up at Miss Isherwood’s home, and Makinson kept dozing off until finally, at about 5am, she woke him up so he could go home.

Brendan Carville, prosecuting, said: “He opened his eyes, struck her in the face, knocking her to the ground, and kicked her in the head and stamped on her head.

“She was screaming and pleaded with him to stop. He then fled the address. The police were alerted at 6.45am, and she was taken to hospital, while police officers searched for him without success.

“The victim was substantially bruised, almost from top to toe, with bruising to her feet, arms, legs, back and head, and swelling to her face and head.

“A CT scan showed bleeding from the brain, and she was kept in hospital for 72 hours for observations.”

In a victim impact statement a month after the December 28 attack, IT account manager Miss Isherwood said she had been left traumatised, and no longer felt safe in male company unless they were close family members. She could not go home initially, and had to pay for a different security system.

On January 4, she had to be taken to hospital by ambulance because of the bleed on the brain, but has been told it should disperse in six weeks. But she still has vision problems and is waiting to see a specialist, said Mr Carville.

After the attack Makinson spoke to his friend, Stephen Joyce, who had initially been at Miss Isherwood’s Lowton home after they all met in the Hare and Hounds public house, but he had left before Makinson fell asleep.

The next day, Makinson voluntarily surrendered to police.

The court heard Makinson had no previous convictions, but had a police caution in 2006 for assault. He pleaded guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm.

Jailing him for two years, Judge John Roberts said: “This was a dreadful attack on a woman, which involved the use of a weapon. The Court of Appeal has said that the use of a foot constitutes using a weapon.

“Only a custodial sentence can be justified where there has been such a vicious attack using a foot, kicking and stamping to the head, as well as punching to the face, knocking her to the ground.”

Judge Roberts added he found Makinson’s account that he had been hallucinating “totally incredible”.

Steven Swift, defending, said that it was a very unusual case.

Makinson had gone out with Mr