Killer dogs owner avoids jail

Beverley Concannon leaves Wigan and Leigh Court
Beverley Concannon leaves Wigan and Leigh Court
Share this article

THE owner of the four dogs which killed teenager Jade Lomas-Anderson left one of the animals in a tiny metal cage just eight feet square, a court heard.

Beverley Concannon, 45, was given a suspended sentence after admitting causing unnecessary suffering to American bulldog Buddy, bull mastiff cross Neo and Staffordshire bull terrier-type dogs Ty and Sky at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court.

The court heard Buddy in particular was “stir crazy” from being placed in the small crate for long periods due to his aggression.

The decision by Judge Martin Hadfield to give Concannon, of Alder Avenue, a suspended sentence caused a walk-out from members of Jade’s family sat in court.

In a statement PC Martin Burkinshaw described the gruesome scene at the house in Chaucer Grove when he found Jade’s body in the kitchen covered in injuries and the four dogs running around the back yard covered in blood in March.

PC Burkinshaw wrote: “The sound of the dogs in the back yard was horrific.

“I looked into the back yard and will never forget what I saw. There was a large bull mastiff type dog and its head and mouth were covered in fresh blood.

“I have not dealt with anything as distressing as this incident and my heart goes out to the girl and her family.”

The court also heard Concannon did not walk the animals and kept them in her cramped kitchen, while Buddy had also become dangerously over-attached to her and would scream if she left the house.

Concannon also considered giving Neo up and putting him to sleep but changed her mind after being offered free neutering last year.

Defending, Bill Pearson, said Concannon expressed deep remorse for what had happened and wished she could turn back time.

Mr Pearson said: “Nothing I say or do can offer any comfort to Jade Anderson’s family. I hope lessons will be learnt and others consider their care of animals.”

Concannon was given a 16-week sentence suspended for 12 months and an indefinite ban on keeping dogs, as well as being ordered to pay £165 in costs and surcharges.