Kitchen destroyed after fridge-freezer sets on fire

Three people were taken to hospital after a fire sparked by a faulty fridge-freezer.

Saturday, 14th January 2017, 7:34 am
Updated Saturday, 14th January 2017, 8:41 am
Three fire engines attended the blaze

The blaze broke out in the kitchen of a house on Wordsworth Avenue in Westleigh just before 11.30am on Friday.

Firefighters from Leigh, Hindley and Bolton attended to tackle the fire, which gutted the entire kitchen.

However, it did not spread through the house as the door to the kitchen had been shut, helping to contain the damage.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

A woman and her four children were in the house when the fire started. Three of them were treated with oxygen by North West Ambulance Service and taken to hospital.

Faulty electrics on a fridge-freezer are believed to have started the fire.