Kitchen smoke-logged after cooker fire

News story
News story
Share this article

THE kitchen of a Wigan bungalow became smoke-logged after a cooker fire caused by an electrical fault.

Fire crews from Wigan and Hindley were called to the property on Canberra Road, in Kitt Green, just after 3.10pm on Sunday.

They found a fault had developed at the rear of the cooker while food was in the oven and caused a fire.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus put out the flames, with damage restricted to the cooker, before using a large fan to clear the kitchen which had filled with smoke.

The occupant managed to get out of the bungalow and no-one was hurt in the incident.

The crew disconnected the cooker from the electric supply and isolated the gas before installing two new working smoke alarms in addition to the detectors which were already there.

Emergency services were at the scene for around an hour.