Latics praise stewards

Fans invade the pitch at the final whistle - Wigan v Wolves
Fans invade the pitch at the final whistle - Wigan v Wolves
Share this article

WIGAN Athletic has praised stewards for quickly quelling fan trouble threatening to overshadow its end-of-season party.

When the final whistle went after Sunday’s win over Wolves, hundreds of home supporters ran onto the pitch to celebrate the club’s Premier League survival.

However, when some fans approached the away section of the DW Stadium, a Wolves fan managed to break the line of security and a fight broke out, but police and stewards rapidly broke it up.

A Latics spokesman said: “We were extremely disappointed that a very small minority of fans decided to come on to the pitch after the final whistle on Sunday.

“Thankfully the situation was dealt with swiftly and effectively, because it did threaten to disrupt our players’ coming back on with their families to thank our magnificent fans for their support throughout the season. Our stewards restored order as quickly as possible, and that meant we were able to give the Wolves players the opportunity to thank their fans before our own players re-emerged.”

After the fracas, both sets of players were able to come onto the pitch to acknowledge their respective supporters.

Police confirmed that three arrests were made throughout the day and inquiries are under way to identify those involved with the incident after the final whistle.

A spokesman said: “Three men were arrested during Wigan Athletic’s match against Wolverhampton Wanderers. A 39-year-old man was arrested for being drunk and disorderly and an 18-year-old man was arrested for possessing a flare.

“Another man was arrested for pitch encroachment and a public order offence. He has been bailed pending further inquiries.

“He was also assaulted and an investigation to trace those responsible is under way. Approximately 20 people were ejected from the stadium during the course of the afternoon.”