Lethal drugs led to man’s tragic death

A WIGAN man died after taking a cocktail of prescription drugs, an inquest heard.

The court heard how Gary Marsden, 39, drank a lethal mixture of drugs used for treating anxiety and depression and was later found dead at his home in Standish.

Speaking at Bolton Coroner’s Court, pathologist Stephen Mills said that Mr Marsden, who lived in Wigan Road, was found to have a number of tablets in his system, none of which were at a fatal dosage but were higher than the recommended therapeutic level.

A combination of them all resulted in the former IT worker’s death on August 29.

Mr Marsden had a history of depression and anxiety, he had suffered panic attacks and had often felt suicidal, the inquest was told.

Mr Marsden had previously worked in London for large pharmaceutical companies.

He was unemployed at the time of his death but was actively seeking work and had taken courses in how to learn java.

His mother, Mary Marsden, told the court: “Last time I spoke to Gary was on August 25 and there was nothing unusual, he told me he had two interviews lined up.

“At the time he was trying to get a job and he was looking to the future. He didn’t present himself as somebody with major problems, he was very positive.

“He told me he had two interviews lined up and he had been offered a job with Royal Bank of Scotland but after a credit check, they couldn’t give him the position.

“I texted him the weekend after I saw him but I didn’t hear from him, so I told his friend and he said as it was a Sunday, he would probably still be in bed.”

Although Mr Marsden was separated from his wife Wendy Sutton, they remained friends and he was helping her to write a CV and a letter of resignation.

They met for a meal on August 26 when Mr Marsden appeared anxious.

Wendy told the court: “He appeared anxious but didn’t say why. I remember him saying that if he didn’t make it big, he would kill himself, I knew he meant it.

“After our meal I went back to Gary’s to wait for my daughter. I was on the phone but was watching Gary and could see him staring out of the window as if something was on his mind and biting his lip really hard.”

Deputy Coroner, Alan Walsh recorded a verdict of death as a result of a disturbed mind.

He added: “I am sorry for your loss. Gary appeared very intelligent, but he made no attempt to contact everybody when he took those drugs, he had intended to take his own life.”