Libya fight mum on finding her daughter

Nadia Fawzi with her mother Sarah Taylor
Nadia Fawzi with her mother Sarah Taylor

A WIGAN mum who spent more than two years searching for her abducted daughter in Libya has spoken of her hope that months of violence which have swept the north African country could be about to end.

Sarah Taylor and seven-year-old daughter Nadia have settled back into life in Hindley, following a two-and-a-half year fight to bring the youngster home from Libya after she was taken by her father.

The pair returned to the UK before the rebel uprising to overthrow Libya’s embattled leader Col Muammar Gaddafi.

Thousands of rebel fighters have now swarmed into the capital Tripoli with Western leaders calling for Gaddafi’s regime to go.

Sarah today said she was “relieved” to have left Libya with Nadia before fighting broke out and called for an agreement to be made over the country’s rule.

She said: “My friends living out there have had to move out of the country because of the troubles. Many have moved to Malta and some have returned home to England.

“I see images on the television and recognise places that I’ve visited. I have to pinch myself when I think 18 months ago I was there.

“I thank God that I got Nadia out in time. I would not have left if I hadn’t found her.

“Hopefully, with reports Col Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam has been captured, we will see an end to the violence and an agreement can be made.

“Once all this fighting has died down I hope Libya can return to normality.”

PM David Cameron, who has cut short his holiday to chair a meeting of the National Security Council, said Col Gaddafi had “committed appalling crimes against the people of Libya and he must go now to avoid any further suffering for his own people”.

The International Criminal Court (ICC) has issued arrest warrants for the Libyan leader, his son Saif al-Islam, and the head of the intelligence service, Abdullah al-Sanussi, for crimes against humanity.

Sarah moved out to Libya as she fought to be reunited with her daughter.

Nadia was four when her Libyan-born father Fawzi Abuarghub took her from her home in George Street, on the pretext of taking her to a party in May 2007.

He secretly flew from Manchester with his daughter to his homeland, sparking years of anguish for her mother.

After a series of court battles and another attempted abduction in Libya, they were finally reunited in December 2009 and the pair are now fully settled.