A number of Wigan criminals were handed jail sentences last month for a variety of offences - here is a list of people that were locked up ...
Brothers Meisam Abvabi, 24, and Mohammed Abvabi, 23, of Cross Street, Hindley, were jailed for a total of 22 years after police discovered 1.3kg of cocaine in a raid.
The seized drugs had an estimated street value of £65,000. But police said that as there was evidence of large scale dealing over a 21-month period, it is believed that the pair profited to the tune of £325,000 and the sentence reflected this.
Meisam pleaded guilty to possession of an offensive weapon and conspiracy to supply cocaine between Thursday November 11 2012 and Friday August 8 2014, he received a sentence of 12 years in prison.
Mohammed admitted conspiracy to supply cocaine between the same dates and conspiracy to launder money, he received 10 years in prison.
Dale Stanley, of Maple Crescent, Leigh, was jailed for six months for kicking his pregnant ex-partner.
The 21-year-old admitted the assault and was serving a suspended sentence for a previous attack in December.
The presiding magistrate at Wigan and Leigh courthouse activated Stanley’s suspended sentence of 16 weeks.
Further concurrent sentences of 10 weeks each for the assault and the non-molestation order breach were added on, bring the total to 26 weeks in prison.
David Connors, of Millers Lane, Platt Bridge, was placed behind bars for 13 months for driving whilst banned from the road.
The 23-year-old had received a 12-month suspended sentence in August last year for aggravated vehicle-taking and driving dangerously and with excess alcohol.
Last December the 23-year-old was caught driving while disqualified and received a further four-month suspended sentence.
In March this year a PCSO spotted him getting into a silver Honda on a car park in Wigan and drive away.
He knew he was a disqualified driver and saw he was behind the wheel as the vehicle drove away and the front seat passenger was apparently trying to shield the driver from his view, Liverpool Crown Court heard.
Partly activating those two sentences plus a further four months Judge Elizabeth Nicholls said: “You have been given two chances. On March 7 you decided again to simply flaunt the court orders by driving. It wasn’t an emergency, it was completely unnecessary.”
Connors was banned from driving for two-and-a-half years.
Anthony Sale, who viciously stabbed a shop worker days after being released from jail, has now started a five-year custodial sentence.
Sale, 37, of no fixed address, admitted robbery, assault and possessing an offensive weapon and also had another robbery and a burglary taken into consideration.
Armed with a large knife, Sale walked into Leigh’s Maine off-licence in Chapel Street and went behind the counter.
An assistant recognised Sale who “without warning or saying a word stabbed her in the left shoulder just below her left clavicle.”
The victim then went into shock and at hospital required surgery which needed 14 stitches which left a 3ins scar. She also suffered two cuts to her fingers where she had grabbed the blade, Liverpool Crown Court heard.