Man, 78, killed in 999 gas leak drama

A 78-year-old man has been killed and four others are in hospital, including North West Ambulance staff, after a carbon monoxide leak.

Thursday, 10th December 2015, 3:39 pm

Three ambulances, two fire engines and a number of police officers were called to an address on Brixton Road in Preston at around 5.45pm last night following reports a man had fallen ill.

Paramedics attended and found the 78-year-old man, who was unresponsive, and another younger male inside the building near to the Moore Street crossing.

Ambulance crews left the property with the younger male after becoming unwell due to a suspected gas leak.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

Lancashire Fire Service later confirmed it was a carbon monoxide leak and after making sure the property was safe, they re-entered to find the 78-year-old man dead inside.

The crews and the second man were then taken by ambulance to Royal Preston Hospital to receive treatment.

Fire crews from Bamber Bridge then spent almost two and a half hours searching and ventilating the house as well as checking surrounding properties.

The incident is not being treated as suspicious and enquiries by Lancashire Police are continuing.