Man arrested after arson attack drama

Police at the scene of the arson attack on Preston Road, Standish
Police at the scene of the arson attack on Preston Road, Standish
Share this article

A MAN has been arrested after a blaze was deliberately started at a house in Wigan.

Police and fire crews were called to Preston Road in Standish just before 1am yesterday morning after receiving reports that a terraced house was on fire.

And the fire was so well established by the time that the crews arrived at the house that it took them about three and a half hours to get the flames under control.

Luckily nobody was in the house at the time and a neighbour raised the alarm after smoke started seeping through into an upstairs bedroom in the house next door.

The damage to the property is so extensive that the entire house is severely smoke logged and there is fire damage to the downstairs rooms as well as to a number of bedrooms upstairs.

And reports to the Wigan Evening Post have suggested that the fire started in more than one area of the house.

Investigation teams from both the fire service and the police worked through the morning to assess the house and establish exactly how the blaze had started.

The fire service’s sniffer dogs, which are trained to identify the use of an accelerant, such as petrol, to start a blaze, were also drafted in to help with investigations.

A 34-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of arson with intent to endanger life and remains in police custody where he is being questioned.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said: “Just before 1am on Thursday April 7 2011, police were called to Preston Road, Standish, following reports of a fire.

“Officers attended and discovered a house was on fire. The fire service was already at the scene dealing with the blaze.

“No-one was injured in the incident.”

Anyone with information is asked to call Wigan CID on 0161 856 7259 or the independent charity Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555111.