Man attacked and stole from partner

editorial image

A DEMANDING boyfriend assaulted his partner and stole money from her, a court heard.

Michael Littler and Stacey Tierney had been together for six months but when she asked him for “space” after her father died he was reluctant and there was acrimony.

They argued on September 1 and he demanded her car keys to stop her leaving and when she ran off he caught up, grabbed her by the shoulder and pulled her backwards.

She fell and landed on her knee causing a bad graze.

He pulled her up and again demanded her keys.

His mother intervened and he apologised, said Henry Riding, prosecuting.

Five days later, on the day of her father’s funeral, they again argued and he again demanded her car keys so she could not leave.

Ms Tierney, a barmaid, got away and told the police and after they told him to hand them over he did.

About 6.30am the next morning she was asleep in her home in Ashton-in-Makerfield when she found him trying the back door to get his work boots.

She refused to let him in but when she opened a window to talk to him he climbed in.

He demanded her phone and car keys but she had hidden them and so he went through her bag and took £320 cash.

“He never denied taking the money and simply maintained he had taken it to force her to the table to discuss their relationship,” said Mr Riding.

When arrested he had £200 of that cash on him.

Littler, of Meadowcroft, Ashton, pleaded guilty at Liverpool Crown Court to common assault and theft.

He has one previous conviction for battery involving a former partner.

Sarah Johnson, defending, said that Littler suffers from depression and acknowledges he has anger management issues for which he is awaiting help.

She said that Littler, a tree surgeon, had expressed remorse and accepts the relationship is over although Ms Tierney is expecting his child and he is planning to play a role in that child’s life.

He already has a child from a previous relationship whom he does not see which he deeply regrets, said Miss Johnson.

Judge Andrew Hatton sentenced him to nine months’ imprisonment suspended for 18 months and ordered him to carry out 150 hours’ unpaid work and carry out a 20-day probation rehabilitation course.

He also imposed a five-year restraining order banning him from going to Ms Tierney’s home or pub where she works but did not prohibit him for being in contact with her.