Man bottled by thug dressed as Mr T

Mr T from the A Team
Mr T from the A Team
Share this article

A WORKS Christmas night out in UpHolland ended in agony for one of the party-goers when ‘Mr T’ smashed a bottle and hit him on the side of the head with it.

Victim Stephen Harrison, who had blood gushing from his lacerated ear, has been left permanently scarred after the attack by Anthony Walker who was wearing the A-Team hard man’s outfit as fancy dress.

Jailing 30-year-old warehouseman Walker for 18 months, a judge said: “You deliberately smashed the bottle before using it as a weapon.”

Recorder Abigail Hudson pointed out that the injuries could have been far more serious and the unprovoked incident took place in front of other people who would have been distressed.

She said that the attack occurred “for no reason whatsoever except possibly influenced by misinterpreting something someone else had said”.

Liverpool Crown Court heard that the attack took place in the early hours of December 22 last year outside the Plough and Harrow pub in UpHolland.

Mr Harrison, a machine setter, had been at the pub with about 30 work colleagues and everyone was in high spirits.

At about 1.30am he was outside waiting for a taxi home when ‘Mr T’, who had also been celebrating inside, walked past him and then walked back again towards the pub.

After he passed him the second time he felt a sensation to his left ear and when he touched it he found it was pouring with blood, said Gerald Baxter, prosecuting.

Mr Harrison was taken to Wigan Infirmary for treatment to the lacerations and meanwhile the pub landlady identified the attacker as Walker and the police were told.

Walker, of Whitburn, Skelmersdale, pleaded guilty to wounding.

Michael Hegarty, defending, said that it had been a spontaneous act in drink which he regrets.

He is in full time employment and has a partner and young daughter. He has no previous convictions for violence and last received a custodial sentence 11 years ago.