Man had taken an overdose

A WIGAN man died following an overdose of amphetamines, an inquest heard.

David John Rigby, 39, was found dead by his father at his home in Petticoat Lane, Higher Ince, on Tuesday August 4.

The inquest, in Bolton, heard how Mr Rigby was suffering depression following a split with his girlfriend of five years in 2006.

He became withdrawn, saying he was hearing voices and claimed his neighbours were spying on him.

He spent time at Leigh Infirmary from September 2006 until Christmas and stayed with his parents until October the following year.

He then appeared to be improving and went back to work at the Asda Distribution Centre, in the warehouse, and bought his home in Petticoat Lane, where he loved doing DIY.

He was getting support from Boston House and was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia.

The inquest also heard how he had a history of taking amphetamines and was taking prescribed drugs for his depression.

On June 19 he suffered a fractured skull when he fell on ceramic tiles at home.


He got a taxi to hospital, which was involved in a minor collision with another vehicle, but Mr Rigby didn’t receive any injuries. He was discharged three days later.

The last time Mr Rigby’s parents saw or heard from him was on July 28.

Mr Rigby’s dad, John Rigby, went to his home and found the door closed, but unlocked.

As he entered the house he found his son collapsed and unresponsive on the hall floor.

Paramedics confirmed he was dead at 10.40am.

Dr Stephen Mills, consultant pathologist at Wigan Infirmary, concluded Mr Rigby had suffered from a fractured skull, but it had not contributed to his death.

A post-mortem examination revealed Mr Rigby had high levels of amphetamine, which resulted in his death.

Alan Walsh, deputy coroner, recorded a verdict of misadventure.

He said: “He was a man who was being treated for depression, was on medication and took drugs intermittently.

“He took drugs, a deliberate human act, but I don’t accept he intended to take his life.”