Man jailed after nightclub attack

editorial image

A YOUNG Wigan man. who was captured on CCTV landing two heavy punches, knocking another man off his feet, has been sentenced to eight months detention.

Ryan Prescott struck one blow which knocked victim Ian Price to the ground and when he got back to his feet he struck him again and Mr Price was knocked unconscious before he even hit the ground.

A judge pointed out to 20-year-old Price that he was fortunate that the injuries were not more serious and he could have been facing a manslaughter charge. Prescott, of Smalley Street, had pleaded guilty to assault causing actual bodily harm.

Harry Pepper, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court that Mr Price, 46, who worked shifts in a take-away restaurant, went out afterwards in the early hours of January 12 and ended up in the Independence night club in King Street.

He got talking to another man, who had earlier had problems with Prescott and his three friends, and when Prescott came over door staff told him and his friends to leave, which they did. At 6am when the premises were closing Mr Price and the other man and the other men were outside. The judge said that Prescott was seen on CCTV footage pointing and remonstrating with them. “You were obviously behaving in an aggressive way. You pushed them and having pushed them you then went and delivered a very violent punch to Mr Price.

“Such was the effect of the blow that you knocks him off his feet.

“Having delivered that punch and when he got back to his feet and approached you you then struck him again.

“This time you struck him so hard it appears he was unconscious before he hit the ground.”

The court heard that Mr Price suffered a severe swelling to the back of his head and a split lip.

“You cannot be allowed to get away with it and such conduct will not be tolerated,” said Judge Brown.

Martyn Walsh, defending, said that Prescott has no previous convictions and made a full admission in interview. “He is genuinely sorry for his actions and the injury he caused.”

Mr Walsh said that Prescott, a road construction worker, would lose his job is he was sent into custody.