Man rescued from flat fire

Mannion House, high rise flats, off School Lane, Scholes - the scene of fire
Mannion House, high rise flats, off School Lane, Scholes - the scene of fire

FIREFIGHTERS had to break the door down to rescue a man who had fallen asleep whilst cooking food.

A neighbour living in Mannion House, off School Lane, in Scholes, heard the smoke alarm at 4am on Sunday and alerted the emergency services.

Crews from Wigan, Hindley and Atherton attended, smashing through the door on the fourth floor to wake up and carry out the man, who was in his 50s.

He had been cooking food in an oven and it had burnt whilst he was asleep.

No evacuation was needed as the fire was contained within the oven, but had caused the flat to be heavily smoke logged.

The man was not injured and was treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics at the scene.

Watch manager Jim Clitheroe, of Wigan Fire Service, said: “I must warn about the dangers of coming home after a night out drinking and cooking food. A take-away is a much safer option, as people may fall asleep when cooking and a fire can start.”