Man threatened to blow up DW Stadium

A mentailly ill man who threatened to blow up Wigan's DW Stadium has appeared in court.

Thursday, 24th March 2016, 7:00 am
The DW Stadium

In the week of the Brussels terror atrocities, Michael Seabury admitted harassment without violence before Wigan magistrates and was released on conditional bail, to return following a pre-sentence report on April 14.

Sarah Perkins, prosecuting, said that between February 2 and 11, the 40-year-old, who has previous convictions, made threatening phone calls and visited DW Stadium to harass staff members Andrew Birch and Deborah Smith on several occasions.

Ms Perkins said; “The complaint is very serious and has had a significant impact on his victims.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“The defendant called them repeatedly over a period of time, making threats to blow up DW Stadium, amongst other serious threats, causing the staff members a significant amount of distress.

“At the time he had been sectioned under the Mental Health Act and was under assessment. He has been given section 17 leave.”

Seabury is currently a resident at Hollins Park Hospital in Whiston.

Louise Barrow, defending, said: “The defendant does have ongoing mental health problems and has been sectioned, so has support.

“I accept the threats caused distress. At the time he describes being in a state of psychosis and obsessed with the stadium. He has not been in contact since.”