Marian swaps Wigan for Buckingham Palace after royal invitation

Marian with her invitation
Marian with her invitation

A youth group leader is looking forward to a royal engagement after being invited to Buckingham Palace.

Marian Brown will go to a garden party held by the Queen in the grounds of the palace next week.

Other news: Waiting times are still too long at Wigan's A&E department

She was invited for her involvement with the 14th Wigan Boys’ Brigade at St Matthew’s Church in Highfield, which she joined in 1970.

Mrs Brown, who lives in Pemberton, said: “It is an honour and a privilege to be invited to go to the palace. It’s a once in a lifetime thing. It will be a real experience.

“It’s nice to be recognised every so often. There are so many people out there that do a lot of good work voluntarily.”

Mrs Brown, 61, was initially a member of the Brownies, but moved to the Boys’ Brigade when she was 14 as they were looking for someone to play the piano.

She has been involved ever since, becoming warrant officer, lieutenant, junior section officer-in-charge, secretary, treasurer and press officer.

She said: “I really like it. I have no children myself and I love children. I have done 45 years of teaching with the Sunday school as well. I love being with children.”

Mrs Brown was nominated to attend the garden party by the Boys’ Brigade, after a nomination in 2012 proved to be unsuccessful.

She was delighted to receive a letter informing her that she had been chosen for the event.

Mrs Brown, who spent 40 years working for BT before retirement, will go to the garden party on Tuesday, May 15 with her husband Philip.