Missing man is found safe and well

James and Joanne Orsman with their two children Thomas, who had been missing, and Bethany
James and Joanne Orsman with their two children Thomas, who had been missing, and Bethany
Share this article

A WORRIED family has spoken of their relief after being reunited with a missing man who had disappeared for almost two days.

James and Joanne Orsman had been frantically searching for their son, Thomas, who was last seen leaving his family home in Up Holland on Tuesday, to go to work at an accountants firm in Warrington, which he started four weeks ago.

But after a widespread appeal, an old university pal spotted the 21-year-old at the Chester campus, where he completed his maths degree earlier this year.

His dad, James, said: “We are so relieved to have him back.

“One of Thomas’s ex-housemates saw him and so I went over to see him and he told us he had seen him at the university library.

“We flooded the area and eventually found him.

“He has not said too much and we don’t know where he had been staying.

“We have not pushed the issue, but we are just so pleased to have him back.”

The former Winstanley College student, who was described as “quiet and a bit of a loner,” was suffering from depression and his family were getting increasingly concerned about his welfare.

James added: “Thomas is a very insular lad and finds it difficult to make friends.

“But all his friends, family and colleagues were worried and hope to see him again soon.

“He is very close to his family and gets on very well with his 17-year-old sister Bethany and her boyfriend Nathan.

“He likes music and playing internet games and is always on his iPad and on YouTube.

“He also enjoys watching sport and is a big Wigan Warriors fan.

“We also want to say a big thank you to everyone who has supported us. I work for a large IT company and everyone there has been brilliant. We appreciate everyone’s help.”

The last contact Thomas had with his family was when he sent a text message to his mum, Joanne, whilst he was on the bus home at about 7.15pm on Tuesday.

Lancashire Police sent out an appeal. A spokesman confirmed: “We are pleased to say that Thomas has been found safe and well in Chester.”