Mum died after violent bust-up about drug use


A WIGAN mum who was addicted to cocaine died as a result of an overdose of prescribed drugs following a violent row with her partner.

An inquest, held at Bolton Coroners’ Court on Tuesday, heard 46-year-old Jeanette Metcalfe was discovered sat up in bed, unconscious, at her home in Meadow Court, Springfield, by her friend Lindsey Tolley on the morning of July 10.

Around 20 empty sleeves of prescribed medication were found on the table in the living room.

Mrs Tolley said that a day before her death, she had spoken about splitting up with her partner of four years, Stephen Royds, and appeared agitated,

On the evening of July 9, Mrs Tolley saw Mr Royds covered in blood and explained that Ms Metcalfe had attacked him. She then went to Ms Metcalfe’s address but there was no answer. She returned the following morning and made the discovery.

Mr Royds said that he argued with Ms Metcalfe after he spoke to her cocaine dealer about not supplying the drugs to her. He said: “She started throwing things at me, punching and kicking me.

“She seemed as though she had been drinking. She said she was going to slash herself and take tablets, but she always said that after an argument.”

Neighbour Charlene Draper said that on the evening of July 9 she could hear Ms Metcalfe pacing and talking, but could not tell if anyone else was in the room.

Another neighbour, Mary Dootson, said she heard a disturbance and arguing,

Carol Ormshaw, from the support group Stepping Stone, said that she was helping Ms Metcalfe with her tenancy agreement on her own flat and on another property, where her late mother was also a tenant.

She told the inquest that Ms Metcalfe had alcohol dependency and substance misuse problems.

Dr Hosie, Ms Metcalfe’s GP, said she suffered one drug overdose as a 14-year-old but there had been no further signs of self harm.

She had been prescribed tablets for angina, anxiety and depression and sleeping pills. A post mortem revealed that Ms Metcalfe died as a result of toxicity of prescribed medication, namely diltiazem.

Police said there was no obvious signs of third party involvement or physical injuries.

Assistant coroner Geoffrey Saul recorded an open verdict.