A MUM-of-four who battled drug addiction for a number of years died of an accidental overdose, an inquest heard.
Joanne Wadsworth, of Bombay Road, Marsh Green, was found unconscious in the bathroom of her mother’s house, on December 4, after taking a lethal cocktail of the heroin substitute methadone, diazepam and amphetamines.
Paramedics were called to the house, in Bombay Road, at around 10pm and she was taken to Wigan Infirmary.
But the 29-year-old was pronounced dead at the hospital shortly after 11.30pm.
The inquest at Bolton Coroner’s Court heard that Ms Wadsworth had battled drug addiction for a number of years.
Mum Lynne Geraghty said her daughter would often fall asleep for days after taking drugs and had spoken about experimenting with heroin and LSD in her youth.
Ms Geraghty told the court she had made numerous attempts to clean up her daughter’s lifestyle without success.
John Nicholson said his partner Ms Wadsworth would often take drugs on a daily basis.
The court heard that she had overdosed on four previous occasions in 1997, 2001, 2002 and 2004.
Ms Wadsworth had been prescribed the heroin substitute methadone, sleeping pills and anti-depressants over the course of her drug treatment.
Consultant pathologist Dr David Barker, who conducted a post mortem, said a toxicology report had shown high levels of methadone in Ms Wadsworth’s blood as well as amphetamines, diazepam and traces of paracetamol.
He said Ms Wadsworth had died from the combined toxic effects of these drugs, primarily methadone.
Det Insp Michael Fenton, of Greater Manchester Police, said an investigation had concluded there were no suspicious circumstances surrounding Ms Wadsworth’s death.
Delivering his verdict, assistant deputy coroner Christopher Welton praised the family’s efforts in attempting to help Ms Wadsworth during her drug dependency.
Mr Welton said: “Ms Wadsworth was prescribed high doses of methadone but on this occasion it was too much for her body to take.”
He recorded a verdict of misadventure.