A WIGAN mum who battled drink and drug problems died from an overdose of methadone at the age of 36, an inquest heard.
Lisa Brogan, of Beech Hill Avenue, Beech Hill, collapsed after taking a cocktail of alcohol, cocaine and prescription drugs, including a fatal dose of the heroin substitute. She was rushed to Wigan Infirmary on March 31 but doctors were unable to save her.
The mum-of-four, who had been treated in hospital for drug overdoses on 16 previous occasions, ignored warnings from her family and partner Thomas Jackson that her substance abuse was putting her life at severe risk.
Miss Brogan’s mum Cicely Maunder continues to look after her daughter’s three eldest children, aged 18, 17, and 11, while her youngest child has been taken into foster care.
Ms Maunder told the hearing at Bolton Coroner’s Court that Miss Brogan had called at her grandmother’s house twice on March 31.
She had visited her friend Dawn Rutter during the day before she arrived at her partner’s home in Springfield Road, Springfield, and went to bed at around 7pm.
Mr Jackson told the inquest that he had received a call from Ms Rutter demanding Miss Brogan return her medication.
He went upstairs to check on his partner but was unable to wake her.
He phoned for an ambulance but she died at Wigan Infirmary shortly before 10pm.
A post-mortem examination showed Miss Brogan had a fatty liver, which was likely to have been caused by years of alcohol abuse. A toxicology report revealed fatal levels of methadone in her blood, as well as alcohol, prescription drugs olanzapine, amitriptyline, diazepam, temazepam and small quantities of cocaine.
Dr Mills said the cause of death was methadone toxicity.
Mr Jackson told the court his partner had overdosed previously - around 30 times in total - after taking anti-depressants and prescription drugs.
Deputy coroner Alan Walsh recorded a verdict that she died from the misuse of methadone.