Murder trial jury hears harrowing 999 call

Joanne Harrison
Joanne Harrison
Share this article

A HARROWING 999 call in which a fatally injured young Wigan mum was heard predicting her own death was played to a murder trial jury.

A hushed courtroom listened to the 10-minute emergency call in which 20-year-old Joanne Harrison who had been stabbed in the neck with a pair of scissors, could be heard saying: “Please, I’m going to die.”

Her partner Christopher Foley, who is accused of killing her, was in tears in the dock as the recording of his phone call was played on the second day of his trial.

He was heard telling his partner: “I love you Joanne ... let me know you are all right” and shortly afterwards she was heard saying: “I cannot feel my arm” and “I need to get up”.

Foley, 23, told the operator that she had fallen over their child’s ball pit and a toy and “fallen on some scissors” and “there are holes in her neck” and blood was squirting out.

Foley, who was sobbing throughout the call, said that she had been leaving the living room to get their baby son when she had fallen and hit her head on a radiator.

He said that he had had first aid training and had applied pressure to the wound but said she was having troubling breathing and was going in and out of consciousness.

Foley interrupted the conversation to fetch their son who was crying upstairs and his distressed cries could be heard in the background after he brought him downstairs at their home in Cameron Place, Worsley Hall.

Miss Harrison was tended by paramedics, who carried out life support measures, after the 999 call and she was rushed to Wigan Infirmary but was declared dead later that afternoon after suffering catastrophic blood loss.

Foley denies murder and a lesser alternative charge of manslaughter.

Christopher Tehrani, QC, has told the jury at Liverpool Crown Court that the relationship between the victim and Foley, who had been together for two years, had not been smooth and Foley had been violent.”

Shortly before 1.50pm on Sunday February 1 this year Foley made the 999 call, which jurors had been warned in advance was distressing.

The first paramedic on the scene, James Curry, told the court today that when he arrived Foley was “very upset and crying.”

Foley directed him into the cramped living room and, “I saw there was a pair of scissors in his hands which were presented to me and they ended up on the sofa.”

He told Mr Curry that she had fallen while holding the scissors and landed towards the window and radiator. Mr Curry said by the time the police arrived the blood stained scissors had fallen on the floor and as he was suspicious he told the officer to put them in a sterile container.

While he was still in the room another man came in and he told the man to take the couple’s son out of the house.