Neighbours' shock after injured man is rescued from blaze-hit Wigan home

A seriously injured man has been taken to hospital after being rescued from a fire at a Wigan home.
Watch more of our videos on Shots!
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now

Police are investigating the blaze at a terraced house in Eckersley Street, Whelley, which was tackled by fire crews from two local stations.

A Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) spokesperson said: “At 8.51pm on Wednesday January 12 three fire engines from Wigan and Hindley fire stations attended a fire on Eckersley Street, Wigan.

"The fire involved the first floor of a terrace house.

Police at the scene of the Eckersley Street blazePolice at the scene of the Eckersley Street blaze
Police at the scene of the Eckersley Street blaze
Read More
Brave Wigan schoolgirl now fighting third cancer battle in just 18 months
Hide Ad
Hide Ad

“Crews arrived quickly on scene and one male casualty was rescued from the building by firefighters.

"The casualty was conveyed to hospital by North West Ambulance Service.

"Fire service personnel used four breathing apparatus, two hose reels, one thermal imaging camera, lighting gear and one positive pressure ventilation fan to tackle the fire and were in attendance for approximately three hours.”

Windows open to let smoke out of the propertyWindows open to let smoke out of the property
Windows open to let smoke out of the property

There have been no official reports of the casualty's condition but a source told wigantoday that he "was in a bad way."

Neighbours later spoke of their shock at the incident.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Alicia Wolstenholme, who lives across the street said: "I was upstairs at the time and just looked out my window to see the house up in flames.

"I came running down the stairs to help in any way that I could.

"Thedogs were running everywhere, I took one of them in to keep it safe.

"I even went in the ambulance with him to make sure he was ok. It was awful."

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

One resident said: "It's awful what has happened. I didn't see anything at first. I just heard all the sirens, looked out my window and just saw smoke."

Another resident said: "I didn't know the people that lived there well but it was a shocking sight.Just praying everyones ok."

A third added: "It's a terrible thing that's happened. I know there were a few people and dogs who lived in that house, I hope everyone got out OK."

Anyone with information on the incident is asked to ring police on 101 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Thanks for reading. If you value what we do and are able to support us, a digital subscription is just £1 for your first month. Try us today by clicking here and viewing our offers.