No further action over missing teen

Jade Lynch
Jade Lynch

No further action will be taken against a man arrested after a teenager, who had been missing for 11 days, was found in Wigan.

The unnamed 19-year-old, from Wigan, was detained and questioned by officers from Cheshire Police after Jade Lynch was found safe and well at an address in Ashton-in-Makerfield.

The 14-year-old, pictured, who was described as a “vulnerable teenager”, had not been seen since she left her younger brothers in St Helens town centre on March 26, sparking a nationwide appeal to find her.

Her silence on social media and lack of contact with friends and family was said to be highly unusual according to her sister, Stephanie Lynch, who made an emotional plea via the press for her to come home.

She described Jade as “really loving girl” who was “always talking to friends”.

“She’s a typical teenager, she’s always in contact with someone online or on her phone – always talking to someone – that’s why we are so worried, “ she said.

“We just want to know she is ok because as she’s got older we have got so much closer.”

Jade was discovered at the address by officers on April 6 following a tip-off from a member of the public, but it was not known whether she had been there the entire time she was missing, as sightings of her in Manchester city centre had also been reported.

Investigating officer John Betts thanked the public for their help in finding Jade.

He said: “Information from the public is vital, and throughout this investigation the support that we have received from the public has been outstanding. Print, broadcast and social media have proved instrumental in getting the information out to the public which has resulted in the support we have had.”

Police and Crime Commissioner for Cheshire John Dwyer said: “It has been heartening to see all of the support given by the public and this case shows the power of the people.I would also like to personally thank all of the officers and staff who have worked tremendously hard throughout the investigation, which has resulted in her safe return.”

The schoolgirl, who is originally from the Warrington area, left home at 1pm on March 26 heading for St Helens town centre with her two younger brothers.

While en route, she told her siblings she was going to meet somebody, and they parted company in the Duke Street area of the town, where she was last seen.

Police confirmed at the time that Jade had not been harmed during the period she was missing, but that a man was helping them with their enquiries.

They later confirmed that the 19-year-old had been arrested on suspicion of abduction but was bailed until May pending further enquiries.

Cheshire Police this week confirmed that they would not be taking any further action against him and the investigation has been closed.