THE father of Ibiza tragedy victim Luke Rhoden fears unco-operative officials on the island could blight the outcome of his son’s inquest.
The Ince 25-year-old died following a struggle with the Spanish Guardia at his hotel on September 3 last year.
It’s all up in the air but what has been done in Spain has been pulled to bits. Some of the video evidence we have shows where there was pressure on his throat. On the autopsy it says there were no markings but you only need small pressure on the trachea to stop it workingNorman Rhoden
How the cardiac arrest that caused Luke’s death was triggered remains in question.
A string of eyewitnesses came forward claiming that the police were using unnecessary force on the former Abraham Guest High School student while Dr Santiago Akoskin, who attended to Luke at the scene, revealed that he had to tell the officers three times to let go of him before he could carry out his duties.
Another possible reason is the potential effect of drugs he is believed to have taken that led to his erratic behaviour that night, which saw him leap from a balcony.
Earlier this month relatives of the one-time Winstanley College student attended a pre-inquest review in Bolton and heard that a full hearing is set to be held in September.
And while Norman, who has travelled to the island and spent time speaking to witnesses, believes a verdict of unlawful killing should be delivered, he thinks a lack of compliance from the Spanish authorities could lead to one of misadventure, wrongly pinning the blame on his son and exonerating the police.
Lambasting them as “unprofessional”, he said: “We don’t think we’re going to get anything more from the Spanish authorities now because we’ve still not had any police statements from them about what happened that evening.
“Normally, as a rule, you get at least a statement from the police that attended the scene that night and we have nothing at all. We haven’t got any CCTV footage from the hotel. We have no jurisdiction to demand it off them, we can only ask. They say they have given it to the Guardia. It’s a waiting game now. I’m hoping for unlawful killing. I’ve seen and heard enough to believe that was the case.”
It’s hoped that such a verdict would lead to a criminal investigation into Luke’s death, something that has not been triggered as yet.
Norman has also called into question the results of a Spanish autopsy carried out on his son.
He said: “The reports that have been done here by the pathologists show that the quality of autopsy done in Spain was really poor and the information given in Spain was not reliable. They say some parts of the body have not been checked; they have come to medical conclusions about parts of the body they didn’t appear to have dissected.
“It’s all up in the air but what has been done in Spain has been pulled to bits. Some of the video evidence we have shows where there was pressure on his throat. On the autopsy it says there were no markings but you only need small pressure on the trachea to stop it working.”