Non-licenced taxi driver carried on for months


A PRIVATE hire driver refused a licence to operate in Wigan did so anyway for two months showing “no regard” for the town hall’s decision.

Council documents reveal he later reapplied but this request was also denied after his unlicenced activity was uncovered by officers.

The driver was one of three hopefuls who had their applications to operate in the borough rejected at last month’s meeting of the regulation committee.

All three, who are not named in the committee minutes, were found to be “not a fit and proper person to hold” a private hire licence over concerns about their records.

The driver who operated without a licence had re-applied for one in January.

The minutes state: “The Licensing Officer advised members that the committee had previously refused the applicant a licence. However, the applicant had no regard for this decision and continued to work for a Wigan company for a period of two months.”

The applicant also had previous convictions which were taken into account by the committee members.

A second driver had previously held a licence but having re-applied for another he was found to have not fully disclosed details of previous convictions “within appropriate timescales.”

A third applicant had never previously held a licence but officers uncovered previous convictions and had received further background information from Greater Manchester Police about the offences.

In all three cases, the committee recorded: “In reaching its decision(s), the committee took into account all evidence and representations provided, the circumstances surround the incidents and all relevant guidelines.”

Earlier this year the committee stripped a driver of his licence after he ignored warnings about the safety of his tyres. The driver had been issued with a suspension notice from the police after a routine stop.

Officers found that “the rear off side tyre was found to be devoid of tread and worn to such an extent as to have the cord exposed.”

But he took on 13 fare paying journeys before taking the vehicle in for repairs and then presenting it to a council testing station.

The unlawful journeys during the suspension period led officers to the view that “there was reasonable cause for revoking the licence” previous committee notes record.