Nurse faces jail for neglecting patient

Sharon Redmond
Sharon Redmond

A CARE home nurse has admitted neglecting an elderly dementia sufferer.

Sharon Richmond had been due to stand trial on Monday facing a charge of wilful neglect and ill treatment of a person lacking capacity, which she had denied.

But after the charge was amended to remove the ill treatment allegation she pleaded guilty.

The offence involved a 72-year-old woman at Dean Wood Manor, Orrell, Wigan, on September 24 last year.

Richmond, 41, of Lorne Street, Fairfield, Liverpool, was further remanded on unconditional bail to await sentence on August 25.

Defence barrister Damian Nolan told Liverpool Crown Court that she has had “an unblemished nursing career” and has no previous convictions.

But Judge Robert Trevor-Jones warned Richmond: “This is a serious matter even though it is now a limited case of wilful neglect. All sentencing options remain open.”

It’s not the first time the Orrell care home has hit the headlines over its treatment residents.

Bosses were criticised by a coroner at an inquest into the death of a frail dementia patient who died after being found collapsed in a pool of blood.

Assistant coroner Kevin McLoughlin criticised the owners of Dean Wood Manor at Orrell for not sending a director to testify and ordered Mimosa Healthcare draws up a scheduled report.

His order came after Jean Aspey, 72, who was a resident at the home, died in Wigan Infirmary last summer just days after staff discovered her bleeding on the floor in her wheelchair. It was speculated that she was pushed over by another resident.

The court heard that the report should ensure the safety of the residents living in close proximity of other dementia patients who are known to be aggressive.

It should particularly focus on staffing levels and the possible introduction of CCTV in public areas at the home.

Spokeswoman and area manager for Mimosa Healthcare, Donna Baker, who has only been in the role for six weeks, agreed that she would welcome an increase in staff.

This would be to ensure that there was more time spent with residents, especially those who need extra support, she said.

Having only been employed in that position of responsibility for such a short space of time, Ms Baker found it difficult to comment on the details of case.

And Mr McLoughlin told the hearing at Bolton Coroner’s Court: “I find it astonishing that someone of director level hasn’t attended this inquest.”