Pensioner’s disgust at attackers’ sentences

Michael Concah, secretary of Ashton Recreation Bowling Club, who was assaulted by a group of youths in March 2011
Michael Concah, secretary of Ashton Recreation Bowling Club, who was assaulted by a group of youths in March 2011

A PENSIONER who was viciously attacked by two teenagers has spoken of his “disgust” after they walked free from court.

Ashton resident Michael Concah was set upon by a gang of youths, after he asked them not to play football on the bowling green at Ashton Recreation Club, on March 19, 2011.

However, when the two youths responsible for the attack were sentenced, both walked free with minimal sentences.

Two weeks ago, 19-year-old Thomas Pounder, of Foley Walk, Moss Nook, Wythenshawe, was sentenced to three months’ imprisonment, suspended for two years.

Yesterday, Derran Johnson, 19, of Clement Street, Huddersfield, was also given a three-month prison sentence, suspended for 12 months.

Mr Concah, 69, a father of two sons, who received shocking facial bruising during the beating, said: “I’m absolutely disgusted. The mental scars are still with me, and I have lost all faith in the judiciary in Britain.

“I have been treated appallingly by the CPS, and I have received more accurate information in the Wigan Evening Post than from the CPS or witness protection.

“This is a disgrace, and I shall not ever be using the judiciary again.

“How much money has this cost the taxpayer? Four crown court appearances and two magistrates court appearances between them. They are free to come back and do this to me again tomorrow.”

Johnson was due to appear for sentencing along with Pounder, but failed to turn up on February 2, claiming that he did not have enough money to get to Liverpool, as his giro had not arrived.

Zia Chaudhry, prosecuting, told Liverpool Crown Court at the hearing on February 2 that, on the afternoon of March 19 last year, Mr Concah became aware that a group of youths were setting up for a game of football on the bowling green.

“He said, ‘come on lads, be fair’, but one of the female members of the group said, ‘what’s it got to do with you?’. Several males surrounded him, and he was pushed and shoved and, after being punched several times to the head, he then fell to the floor and lost his glasses.”

He suffered bruises to his face, particularly around his left eye, and there was also a small cut. Other club members, also in their 60s, and with various health problems, came out.

One of them, cancer sufferer John Sudworth, brandished a snooker cue at them, and when he went over to help Mr Concah, he was struck on the left side of his face, causing him to fall to his hand and knees.

He suffered further kicks or punches to his ribs, and his glasses and hearing aid were knocked off, said Mr Chaudhry.

Another member, David Croadsell, also came over, and he was punched and received a lump to the left side of his face.