Final preparations are made for funeral of Wigan dad killed in car crash after police chase

Police say they are working with a family as they prepare to say goodbye to a dad who died in a car crash while being pursued by officers.

Thursday, 8th October 2020, 10:26 am
Updated Thursday, 8th October 2020, 10:30 am
Paddy Connors

Patrick Connors, known as Paddy, was fatally injured in the smash on Frederick Road in Salford on Wednesday, September 23.

His friend Thomas Sharpe, known as Tommy, also died, while three people in another car were injured.

Friends and family of Paddy, 36, will pay their respects to him on Friday afternoon when a funeral is held at Westwood Cemetery in Ince.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

There are currently restrictions on how many people can attend a funeral due to the coronavirus pandemic, but with a large turnout expected, police say they have been working with Paddy's family to ensure everyone is safe.

Ch Insp Liz Sanderson, from Greater Manchester Police's Wigan division, said: "This is a very difficult time for the family and the community as they grieve the loss of their loved one who sadly passed away, and it is important that they are able to mourn.

"Our approach has been a sensitive and respectful one as we acknowledge the hurt that many people feel at this time. We are working closely with the family of the man, and with local partners, to ensure that the attending group are able to join together in a safe environment, whilst trying to minimise any disruption to those in the local area.

"It is important that the public remember the value of observing the guidelines and regulations in relation to gatherings and we would like to express our thanks and gratitude to all those who continue to play their part during this extremely difficult time."

Wigan Council has warned motorists there could be traffic disruption in the area due to the funeral and have encouraged them to leave extra time for their journeys.

Paddy, who lived in Wigan, was travelling in a Mercedes C class car with Tommy when the collision happened last month.

The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) is looking into the incident and initial inquiries revealed the emergency lights and siren on an unmarked car from Greater Manchester Police were used to signal to the Mercedes to stop.

Following a short pursuit, which lasted less than one minute along Lower Broughton Street and Frederick Road, the Mercedes collided with two cars, both VW Passats, travelling in the opposite direction.

The driver of one of the vehicles, a taxi, had minor injuries. Two women, who were passengers in the back of the taxi, were taken to hospital with serious injuries, which were not thought to be life-threatening.

The driver of the second VW Passat was uninjured.

Inquests into the deaths of both Paddy and Tommy have been opened at Bolton Coroner's Court and adjourned until a later date yet to be set.

The Wigan Observer is more reliant than ever on you taking out a digital subscription to support our journalism. For unlimited access to Wigan news and information online, you can subscribe here