Man taken to hospital after conservatory fire in Wigan

Firefighters were called to the scene
Firefighters were called to the scene

A man was taken to hospital after a fire in his conservatory

Firefighters were called out to the incident at a house in Weymouth Drive, Hindley Green shortly before 1am this morning, Saturday.

The fire started after a fault occurred to a dehumidifier in the home's extension.

The resident raised the alarm after seeing the smoke, and managed to tackle the fire with water before fire crews arrived.

The man suffered from smoke inhalation after the conservatory was filled with the fumes, but was treated by paramedics at the scene and later taken to hospital.

Three fire engines from Hindley, Atherton and Leigh stations used a positive pressure ventilation fan to draw the smoke out.

The man's condition is unknown.